Thursday, January 7, 2010

We are never shopping at H&M again

This makes me want to cry. New York is like only second to Paris when it comes to clothes. Do you have any idea how much pressure there is to dress right? Every single person looks you up and down when they see you, to check out your outfit. Because of me, Danielle's always worn hand-me-downs. Because of me and Danielle, Alex has always worn them too. Because of 9/11, the three of us have been given a lot of third and fourth hand clothes. A lot of them were ill-fitting and stained. We wore them anyway.

We wore shirts wider than our bodies. Jeans with gaps in the back. Stretched out sweaters and tank tops. So to read that H&M not only throws away clothing but ruins it so dumpster divers can't even take it home and wear it? Disgusted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for alerting us about the shameful behavior of H&M and other companies. I had no idea!

I like that you are posting every day.

OTRgirl said...

That's such a horrifying article. I'm glad the NYT is calling attention to the behavior. Such a waste.