Sunday, September 27, 2009

Ahh, eighth grade memories

Alex got invited to a party last night. The boy who invited her is the boyfriend of the girl who sits next to her in math, and she's not really friends with either. When I asked Alex who else was going she wasn't sure. I asked if she wanted to go and Alex shrugged.

The two sick piggies are germy and miserable. I talked Josh into sharing Danielle's room with her so all the sick people can stay in one place. Danielle's school is closer to Alex's than my college so she winds up knowing more of her friends than I do. She didn't recognize the name of the boy or the math girl.

When I got home from work Friday, Alex had decided she wanted to go after all. I had Alex borrow Dani's cell phone and we went to the Bronx together. I brought my homework and camped out at a Starbucks three blocks away. Alex walked in at 10:30 p.m. I got a hot chocolate and started writing out notes. At 11:15 p.m. Alex called me saying she was done.

I told her to come meet me at Starbucks and less than 10 minutes later she walked in looking sad. When I asked why, Alex said it wasn't as fun as she'd hoped it would be. That the wine cooler wasn't that good, that all the girls were glaring at each other suspiciously and talking smack behind each other's backs in between trying to get, or acting drunk.

This has been my experience too - that other kids act like animals let out of cages just because parents aren't around. Hard to relate.

On the walk to the subway Alex asked if I gave boys blowjobs at parties when I was in eighth grade. "Not unless I would have given them blowjobs somewhere else too." Alex nodded. "Good system."

1 comment:

OTRgirl said...

You and your sisters have been forced into a level of maturity that is so far beyond your peers, it must make it hard to relate.

Sounds like a disturbing scene. I hate that she's having to think about whether or not to do blowjobs at a party. When did the boys 'win'? It just makes me mad that it's somehow expected that random girls will give them pleasure with no strings attached. Sounds like you handled that well.