Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Butterscotch and vitamins

One day last week I had to go back to the lab where I last got blood tests to get more. This meant I had to make sure to finish dinner before a certain time and fast until after my blood test.

I thought this was funny because one of the things that came out of the last blood test was that I shouldn't go too long between eating. Anyway, I took my test, drank some orange juice, and then left. The doctor's office called Monday for me to come in to discuss lab results. Again, I got the last appointment of the day. Again, Doug came out to the waiting room, and brought me into his office and not an exam room. Like last time, he asked a lot of questions. Most of them were even the same ones. He looked at the lab report and told me about anemia. I interrupted and said I wasn't surprised, that I've been this way for a long time.

Doug asked why I haven't been treated for it and then before I could answer he said never mind, it doesn't matter. He looked something up on his computer and then wrote down a thing and passed me the paper. "If you can't get this at the drugstore, you can pick it up here at the end of the week." I think he meant if I can't afford to buy it and I was embarrassed and angry, but I just said no thank you, I can get it. Doug also said to try to work iron-rich foods into my diet on a daily basis, but I already do (I think).

He asked if I'm getting to sleep earlier and some other stuff, but my brain froze after the talk of buying the anemia vitamins and I could barely pay attention. Just because someone tries to be nice about it doesn't meant it doesn't hurt your feelings.

On the way home I realized I hadn't gotten a candy like last time and that bothered me too. Yes, I'm immature sometimes. Whatever.

8 comments:

Lisa @ Lisa Moves said...

I was anemic after having my last kid....my dr told me to take Floradix. Its a plant based iron supplement. Tastes gross, like raisins and grass, but made me feel much perkier. You can get it at most vitamin stores, like gnc or vitashoppe.

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a follow-up with the doctor.

It really does sound like he was not just trying to be nice but was focused on making sure you could get what you need to be healthy and in the most gentle way possible to avoid embarrassment, "If you can't get this at the drug store" -- like for whatever reason, and realizing that he didn't need to query you about why your anemia hadn't been previously treated. It's great to have a doctor who understands your situation and considers keeping you in good health the point, the rest only details that he can make easier for you.

Do you cook a lot with beans? Chick peas? Lentils are especially good fro iron, aren't they? You had mentioned trying more vegetarian dishes. Or Mexican: kidney or black beans? Molasses is high in iron; try a spoonful of the real blackstrap kind a day with breakfast! Are you not doing much red meat these days? A chopped liver sandwich next time you get deli food might be nice. Get a cast-iron frying pan if you can -- easy way to get extra iron with whatever you might cook! Keeping iron up can be difficult and every little bit helps.

I found a good iron supplement at the natural vitamins and supplements store for under $10 for a 90-day supply. It's a kind that has the iron more readily available (chelated) so less is needed and it is less problematic to take. If possible, you might check out a multi-vitamin too.

I'd be bothered about not getting a candy too! Not immature at all. I did get a fun bandage when I had blood taken a couple of weeks ago.

Anonymous said...

Sam, look for ferrous gluconate instead of ferrous sulfate when you are supplement shopping. Also, if you can pick up a Vitamin C supplement while you're there, take the two together. Vitamin C helps with iron absorption. Good luck!

Karen said...

Another way to increase iron is to use cast iron in your cooking. Vegetarians in India are rarely anemic because they cook acidic foods in cast iron - like tomato sauces for curries, etc.

I was anemic as a young adult and found that using birth control pills solved that problem right away. But there are other issues to consider, I'm sure.

Yankee, Transferred said...

I'm glad Laurie has a doctor who you can go to who really cares. Try not to get insulted over the offers for help in the form of free supplements-I don't think he was being condescending, just caring. I had read your earlier post about him and thought how much better health care would be for everyone if we all had doctors like that!
Eat spinach. It's not just for Popeye any more ;)

Anonymous said...

Could it be that he was concerned the drugstore may not have the particular vitamin in stock? My family doesn't take a lot of prescriptions, but from time to time, I have been in situations where I take the script to a pharmacy and they just don't have it in stock. It's rather mind boggling because sometimes it's the kids' vitamins, but it has happened to me. More than once.

Anonymous said...

Just a word of caution, you can have too much iron, so follow up with the doctor and follow his dosing recommendations of anything you decide to take. Hope to hear that you're feeling better soon!

Anonymous said...

Spinach! I forgot about green leafy vegetables. Yankee is right.

The chelated iron is different from both ferrous gluconate and ferrous sulfate. Let's see, it's iron bisglycinate chelate. Non-constipating, totally bio-available, and doesn't seem to be needed to be taken with food or Vitamin C, though it couldn't hurt.