Thursday, March 3, 2011

Hemmorhaging

In a way I'm really lucky. When I get sick it's just run-of-the-mill sicknesses of flues and fevers. It's never anything serious, almost never anything that requires a doctor. The worst thing to me about getting sick is watching the money slide away. There's all the money I'm not earning when sick, but also, all the extra money I spend. Even when you're better enough to go back to work, it doesn't mean you're better enough to walk nine blocks in the dead of winter. What I'm trying to say is, the beginning of the month, after having paid rent, is not a pretty time that's only made uglier by all the taxis I've taken this week.

In other news I think Mother Nature was angry about my abortion blog posts. Last week I should have gotten my period but it didn't come. Does Mother Nature play psychological war games?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you are done with college and have a good full-time position, you will have paid sick days, personal days and vacation days too. My company offers 8 sick days a year, 2 personal days and 10 vacation days after the first full year of employement.

When I was younger (and didn't know better) I had jobs (in offices) that didn't pay me whenever I had a sick day and never mind me taking a vacation! My first "real" job with benefits I thought I won the lottery when they told me about paid sick days and vacation days too!
Toni

Yankee, Transferred said...

Toni makes a good point. The time will come when you have a job with benefits, and sick time will be paid. Sorry money is such a struggle. I know first-hand how stressful that is.

Mother Nature! What a kidder!

Anonymous said...

Were you raised Catholic? I was and that's what I always think.....I am being punished for something........
Things will get better. It's just been a hard time for you with sickness and the cold weather. Hang in there.
gmg

Anonymous said...

I don't know how you do it, living in NYC on a student's budget with two sisters to care for. I've got a much cushier existence than you do and even I feel like I'm hemmorhaging money whenever I come to the city. It feels as if there is a $20 tax every time I step out onto the street!

I agree with the others - someday you will have a job with benefits and getting sick won't be so awful financially.

Glad you are on the mend.

Bec said...

Mother Nature knows how to nail you lol. Whenever I get sick my periods are late, don't stress :)

Lyndsay said...

Pay a lot of money for an expensive pregnancy test... that makes my late period arrive every time!

Daff said...

Don't sweat the late period. Pretty sure it's because you were so sick last week. It's very common. Stress can also cause late periods and it sounds like you've been hit with both! Hang in there.

Karen said...

Your sickness last week didn't delay your period. The better question is what were you doing 3 weeks ago when you should have been ovulating? I think you were freaking out over your vacation to Florida, so my guess is your ovulation was delayed and that's why you're late. It still enough to make you crazy.