Thursday, April 7, 2011

Why is this so difficult to understand?

  1. Josh wants me to go on a spring break trip with him.
  2. We already went on a vacation to Florida just a short while ago.
  3. Not only did I miss work then, but I missed a week's worth of work from being sick.
  4. Josh tried to say that since I am all set with having a passport, we should go to Mexico.
  5. He claims going to Mexico is a cheap vacation. Compared to what he's used to, that means you'd just spend the same amount you would to buy a small sports car. 
  6. I have spreadsheets detailing my savings plan and earnings plan and have shown these to Josh, explaining why I have so much money-earning-time that needs to be made up.
  7. Every day he asks me in a different way, from a different angle, if I'll go on spring break with him.
Aren't you (as a college guy) supposed to do body shots off girls in string bikinis and fall off bars because you were dancing drunk? I mean granted, everything I know about spring break comes from watching MTV, but it seems like it's not the type of thing you go do with your girlfriend.

I told Josh over and over how much fun I had on our Florida trip. Seriously, I can't remember ever laughing as much as we did on that trip. It's not that I don't want to do it again because I totally do. Actually, now that I know how trips really work in terms of eating out so much, I think it'd be even more fun. BUT I HAVE TO WORK! Why can't he respect this?

5 comments:

Nina said...

It sounds fun and it's sweet that he wants to spend his vacation with you, but yes, it's totally understandable that you need to work and that you have to draw the line somewhere.

The only thing I can think of is that he knew he had to ask many, many times to get you to agree to a vacation the first time so maybe he thinks that he has to do that again? Maybe sit him down and tell him that you'd love to go on vacation again him sometime in the future (maybe suggest a time...in 6 months, over the next summer or winter break, whatever...), but that you simply cannot go over spring break and that it's important to you that he respect that.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can approach him with a more comprehensive plan in mind... think about how many weeks off per year you are willing to spare for vacations (maybe 2?) and tell him that's the vacation "budget" for your time. And then you both need to stick to it... he can't ask you for more than the agreed amount of time off and you hold up your end of the deal by allowing some vacations.

Otherwise, if he thinks he might sway you, he'll always be asking.

Chris said...

So glad you're better.

I totally agree with Nina's idea, that if you really can't go then you can plan a different vacation and let him know you'll be available whenever you know you will be. This will give him something to look forward to.

Oh, and considering that MTV is less about music and more about dumb rich kids messing up their lives big time, I'm glad Josh is not like that.

Yankee, Transferred said...

I agree with the vacation budget idea. One of us is more "let's go!" and the other is, "let's save! Let's go bigger, better, later, when we have the time and money!" We have to bargain with each other all the time. Good luck. Glad it's you he wants to be with on vacation.

OTRgirl said...

I'm the 'let's go' person and my husband is the 'let's save' one. For the most part, I've just given up. It's just not worth the stress that spending the money puts on him. Yet I feel like we're missing life now to save for the future. It's a tough balance.

That said, your circumstance is a little different in having to pay for school. I do like the idea of working out a vacation budget with him so he can decide what he wants to do with those two weeks of your time. Great idea.

Your whole post about Alex made me so sad! I hate that trying to do the right thing made everyone mad at her. Those girls sound toxic! Way to make sure the whole world revolves around you. Yikes.