Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Not much accounting

So I don't really get to do any accounting. It kind of bums me out, but on the other hand I kind of get it. I mean, some of these companies pay like tens of thousands of dollars for the accounting work, and they'd probably be pissed off to find out someone without a college degree, let alone someone who hasn't passed the CPA exam, is working on their stuff. I work with a bunch of auditors. When I told Alex she said, "I don't know what that means but it sounds even more boring than accountants!"

I spend a lot of time filing shit, putting papers in date order, giving stuff to people, asking questions for people, gathering lunch orders, placing lunch orders, picking up lunches, distributing lunches. It's a good thing I don't have an eating disorder!

Some people are cool with explaining the papers they're giving me to put in order. Some either don't have time for it or don't think of it I guess. I like when they explain what I'm doing though - it makes it easier the next time there's work for that person. If I ever have any sort of assistant, I'm totally going to take the 30-45 seconds to explain a tiny bit of what's going on.

It seems like there are like, stereotypes? For what interns do. I think some people have watched The Devil Wears Prada a few too many times. Nobody has tossed their coat at me (well, it IS summer) or told me like, "There's a good Chinese restaurant I enjoyed; make me a reservation." One guy did ask me to go to Papyrus to get him "a mushy birthday card" for his girlfriend. That was a little weird. So I picked out one I'd want to get. He gave me a $10 bill. Those cards are really expensive! When the cashier gave me back the change I counted it and she was 14 cents off in the store's favor. It was so nice to finally use some accounting skills for work!

No comments: