Friday, June 15, 2012

Slipping

I hadn't realized how different this summer job would be. That every single afternoon at the end of work, people would be going to happy hour. It seems kind of weird - some of these people are kind of mean to me at work, and then they want me to party with them? I almost think they want me to get drunk and make a fool of myself just so they can gossip about it the next day. It's why I decided to never have more than one drink. Even though I think two would be fine, three if I ate food.

It is probably really bad of me to be getting home at 8pm so only sitting down to dinner at 9pm right when my sisters are gearing up for finals. Maybe I should cut it down to half a drink to get home earlier.

Lately I am so tired from the power plays and always being on my best behavior that I keep just stripping out of my fancy clothes and tossing on a t-shirt to go to bed.  Screw the fancier stuff - I just want to be totally comfortable.

This is my new plan: tomorrow night I'll go out. After that though, I'm only going if someone kind of higher up invites me. The people going out every night are not the people I'm going to make friends with anyway. I'd rather hang out with my sisters anyway. They're slightly less fun, but a hell of a lot nicer.

4 comments:

Mizasiwa said...

I wouldnt not go unless someone higher up invites you but go maybe once a week - on a friday or wednesday for instance... your sister can have dinner earlier and keep dessert for you ;-) those people are the people to be afraid - well afraid is the wrong word but they will think you are only shmoozing for the managements benefit and make noise about that so its better if it just seems like its informal and spur of the moment - you have other plans its summer etc ....

Lil'Sis said...

Ditto.

Nina said...

Ditto again. I know the political maneuvering is wearing, but I think that's half the battle with these summer internships.

Monica said...

I'm going to agree with the once a week suggestion. It will be less exhausting and yet you'll have some informal time to build those relationships.