Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Waiting, waiting, waiting

Fall is when you find out if you get a job after you graduate. I guess if the accounting firm doesn't offer me a job, I will ask Arnie if he'll hire me. Hopefully he doesn't decide there's something horrible about me if the accounting firm doesn't hire me that it makes him not want me either.

Josh said I should contact the scary partner but I don't know what to say to her. "Will you please hire me?" What if she says no and then lists all the ways I sucked over the summer? What if she can't remember who I am? That would be so embarrassing.

If nobody will give me a job my plan is to sneak across the border and go be homeless in Mexico. At least it's hot there, so you don't need a lot of clothes.

4 comments:

Kizz said...

Arnie likes you. Quit worrying about that. The partner will remember you. They don't take someone out for lunch and forget. You could maybe send an email or, better yet, a real live card in the mail and thank the partner for the summer opportunity and ask if s/he has any suggestions for how you can make yourself more marketable as you graduate. Casual but opening a door and reminding them you're available. That's what it's all about.

Karen said...

Kizz is exactly on the mark about how to build the relationship with the scary partner. And Arnie, too.

OTRgirl said...

Kizz has a good approach. I was thinking you could send her a note or an email (if you have her email) and just say, "Hey, it was great to get to know you this summer. I enjoyed my time at [company] and wanted to let you know that I'm definitely interested if/when you're hiring anyone." (obviously say it in your own voice and with the right professional tone.)

That's the more forward version. I think Kizz has the right professional/networking tone.

Lisa @ Lisa Moves said...

previous posters have the right idea. Handwritten note is better than email.