Sunday, January 25, 2009

Self Defense

Topher always told me that if anyone ever gave me a hard time I should kick them in the balls and run. That's what he taught Danielle too. So that's what we've taught Alex.

When it seems safe we try to make Alex go places by herself. Like to school. You can't be in 7th grade and always need somebody with you. Getting in and out of our apartment isn't too safe and walking to the corner store isn't either. Most everything else is pretty okay. But especially since Alex got jumped she's been scared and always wants someone with her.

Today when I was finishing work Alex showed up. Danielle had sent her a little early though so I told Alex to go to the drugstore to pick up cough medicine. I left the diner before Alex had gotten back so I walked towards the drugstore.

She was standing on the sidewalk talking to a guy about ten feet away. I kept walking until I could hear what they were saying. He was saying really gross things to Alex and blocking the sidewalk so she couldn't walk past him. There were too many cars parked for her to step into the gutter.

I watched from across the street. The more he talked, the more Alex blushed. Finally I heard her say really forcefully, "If you don't stop it, I'm going to have to kick you in the balls." The guy stared at her and then started laughing. He leaned against the fence and bent over holding his stomach laughing so hard. Alex ran past him and then she saw me.

"What was so funny? I totally was getting ready to kick him in the balls!"

No comments: