Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Well actually ...

Joe came up to me today to say if he didn't know better, he'd think I've been avoiding him. I didn't respond, just kind of smiled at him, and it totally set him off. The more I think about it, the more convinced I am he's somehow mentally unbalanced. Joe kept mumbling things at me under his breath all through class. At one point I am almost positive he called me an eggplant in Italian. This is not weird because it's weird to call someone an eggplant as an insult. It's weird because the Italian word for eggplant is a derogatory term for a black person.

This girl in one of my classes is from some other state, is super smart to the point it's a little intimidating, and she has a Jewish last name. So I went up to her after the lecture and asked if she was, in fact, Jewish. She gave me a weird look but said yes. I explained my boyfriend's jewish too, I'm making a special dinner for the first night of Hanukah and asked if she wanted to come join us since she's away from her family. She thanked me profusely and told me her mom will be so happy she's going somewhere to celebrate.

At the time of the invitation I didn't realize Joe was right behind me, but he was. When I started walking off he caught up and asked why I hadn't invited him too.
Me: Are you Jewish?
Joe: Are you?
Me: Since you listened in, didn't you grasp that this is a celebration of a Jewish holiday?
Joe: Whoa, what's up with the hostility?

Is he kidding? Yet again he listened in, tried to insert himself where he wasn't wanted, and then played victim when he wasn't received well.

9 comments:

Lisa @ Lisa Moves said...

My husband's grandmother emigrated from Italy in the forties, and was a piece of work from all accounts. Apparently she got in frequent shouting matches with the neighbors, calling them melanzane and formichula (I have no idea how to spell it--but it means little ants--again, not a nice term.) She was a crazy woman from all I've heard. The only saving grace is she didn't understand English and what the neighbors were calling her.

Anonymous said...

Be careful around Joe. I've never met him and he freaks me out. I would not put yourself in a situation where you might be alone with him. I just started reading your blog a few months ago and I love it. You sound like such an amazing young woman.

OTRgirl said...

Yeah, Joe doesn't sound like someone to have for a buddy. Seems like you're playing it right though: non-confrontational avoidance. Definitely don't want to bring out any more of his aggression!

I love that you invited the woman to join your celebration. As my mother would say, "That's very thoughtful of you!"

Nancy said...

Sweetheart...please be careful. I left your blog a minute ago, and then, with all the red flags waving, and alarm bells ringing, had to come back and comment. Joe scares the living daylights out of me. You NEED to report him...no, really...you do. He NEEDS help. Please don't feel bad to do so. You need to be safe, and the school needs to be made aware of his problems. Don't wait, please. I'm tellin' ya...I NEVER meant to come here and comment today...but I just HAD to. I want you to be safe.

Hugs...Nancy in CT

Anonymous said...

Nancy what the hell could she possibly report him for? For being annoying? He hasn't physically assaulted her. He hasn't threatened her, he hasn't threatened to kill himself or anyone else, he hasn't broken any laws.

There's nothing to report him for.

Jane said...

My niece sent off her first college application today...to CUNY!

Nancy said...

To anonymous...um...apparently you are out of touch with what's really going on these days? That's how the whole Virgina Tech rampage started...one angry, strange kid, who slipped through the cracks, and went psycho! You report him because he needs help...and he is scarey. And harassment of his sort is NOT okay, and not permissible. He needs help. Before his anger and rage become bigger issues than they are now. That's what college counselors and such are FOR...to get these kids help. It's not something to brush under the rug. These days, you just can't take the chance.

Nancy

Anonymous said...

She can report to someone at the campus that she is nervous around him because of comments that he has made to her. She can go to her teacher and make him aware of the situation and ask him who she can go talk to. Someone else on campus needs to be aware of what is going on. I just don't like the sound of what is going on and it sounds to me like Joe has anger issues and doesn't like being ignored. Please be aware of your surroundings, especially when leaving campus. I had someone follow me home from work one day when I was in my late teens. It scared me to death!

Anonymous said...

This is ridiculous. Sam lives in one of the most crowded cities in the world - she's never going to notice if one person is following her on a busy street.

It doesn't sound like Sam is nervous around Joe at all. Sounds like she's disgusted by him and uninterested in his input into her life. Since Sam has anger issues herself I'm sure she's able to gauge other peoples levels of anger well.

Really think you ladies are just making something out of nothing.