Monday, March 21, 2011

Pagne-ful

I am back home now. Laurie came with me and stocked the fridge and freezer with sick-foods. Tomorrow I'm going back to life, even though I'm still kind of sickly. My cough sounds bad, but it's not contagious, and I mostly don't have fever anymore. My sisters went to fire-family dinner without me again tonight.

My friend Pagne came over and we hung out for like an hour. In high school she seemed so smart to be doing a cosmetology thing before college, and I was so upset to have not thought to do that too. It turned out she couldn't finish the program, and didn't wind up going to community college after all. She's working at a place doing telemarketing and miserable. It was sad, and made me shiver to realize her life could be mine. Pagne went to one semester of college and took out a loan for it. Now all the money she earns pays for her loan repayments and cell phone bill and stuff she needs and that's it. I feel awful for her, but can't think of how to help.

4 comments:

Kizz said...

You can help by spending time with her. And you're already doing that. It's tough to see someone you care for in a shitty position like that and so many people are there these days.

Glad you're home and feeling better!

Lil'Sis said...

Glad you're home and on the mend...it's never to late for her and her sister to change their path

Anonymous said...

It is a shame that your friend is in such a situation and it shows what a good person you are to want to help.

You might help her figure out a job she could do that would interest her and would be fun and fulfilling and pay a little more. If she decides to return to school, you might help her to find scholarships so she needn't take out more loans.

The main thing she might really need is encouragement to stick to her plan to reach her goal.

Glad you are feeling better! Be sure to return to your life slowly and continue to cut yourself some slack as you are still on the mend.

Yankee, Transferred said...

I agree with Kizz. You're her friend, and that's the best thing you can do for her. Take it slow on the reality thing.