Friday, December 23, 2011

Happy chanukah, now leave

Josh and his parents (and some of their friends) are leaving tomorrow for their vacation. So we had the parents over for a going-away brunch of bagels and lox. I don't know if a going-away brunch is a real thing, but we proposed it and they came. Early this morning I spent some time cutting melon and pineapple into dreidels and stars of david. Considered trying to do a menorah but knew it wouldn't come out well and I'd just wind up angry about throwing out food, so didn't bother. For dessert we got jelly donuts.

We'd agreed to exchange presents today and it felt weird, like cheating almost, to open Christmas presents before Christmas. I held back two little gifts for my sisters so they'll have something to open on Sunday. It was really touching that Laurie got Christmas wrapping paper - I know she got it specifically for our presents.

At the last party at her house Laurie discovered a red wine stain from a bottle and quietly told me that always happens and it drives her nuts. So I bought Laurie these fancy wine coaster thingies. I got two - one for white, one for red. She seemed to like them - so did Josh's dad - but Laurie's also super polite and it's hard to be sure.

It seemed like they had somewhere else to be. Josh's dad kept looking at the time. He did it so much that it made me anxious and after a while I just wanted them to go already and stop worrying about being late to whatever their next obligation was.

We got our new bedding. I was prepared this time, and smiled and said thank you. There's a sheet that's blue and altogether, it looks pretty good. I made Josh ask his parents if our old bedding could be donated. So now it's sitting in a box and tomorrow me and my sister will bring it to a firehouse for them to give someone who needs it. So it's okay now.

3 comments:

Nina said...

The wine coasters are a super thoughtful gift.

I know it's not a huge thing on the surface, but knowing the whole back story that goes along with it...the fact that you've been able to deal with the whole bedding thing and change and grow and handle something that was so difficult for you with such grace and maturity...well, I think it speaks a lot about you. A lot of grown ass adults can't handle much less.

Sorry they seemed in a rush to leave. That always sucks when you go to the trouble of hosting something and people seem like they're itching to go somewhere else.

Hope you and your sisters have a happy Christmas, just the three of you. :)

Yankee, Transferred said...

Merry Christmas to you and your sisters. You are so thoughtful; I'm sorry they were rushed.

Funny about the bedding. What is that? Even if I had all the money in the world, I wouldn't get new bedding every year. I guess it's just a thing they do.

Here's to a great 2012 for you and yours.

Chris said...

Merry Christmas, and have a very happy new year, too.