Sunday, February 12, 2012

We need a blossom

Pros:
  • You can't be in a bad mood when there's a cute dog around
  • If you can be, the cute dog will make you feel better
  • They are so eager to please and it makes you feel like the most brilliant dog trainer when you teach them something
  • They are always happy to see you
Cons:
  • The cost. I have no clue how much that cost is but anything that costs money sends me into a panic
  • Somebody would have to be around to walk and feed it
  •  Somebody would have to get up EVERY morning
  • Josh does not seem excited about the idea of it
  • If we get a young dog it might take a while to train it
We had so much fun this weekend with Blossom. Me and my sisters were all teary when she had to go home. We spent so much more time together this weekend than we usually do all because we wanted to be with Blossom. There was a ton of doggie cuddling and playing on the floor. We got so many compliments walking her about how cute she was. Josh told me he's looking forward to responsibilities moving out and doesn't want to have a new one move in. He accidentally stepped on her paw when he was making a sandwich. We (okay I) insisted that Blossom sleep with us, and Josh didn't really love having my sisters barge in each morning to play with her.

It almost seems like if it were just the three of us girls, we could get a Blossom (except maybe for the money aspect) and just create a schedule for feeding and walking. But Josh has put up with my sisters for so long that I don't really think it's fair to ask him to put up with even more and take on a dog too. Except I kind of want to ignore that because holy shit Blossom was so much fun and I want to have that all the time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think to take on a new family member like a dog, everybody should be on board with the decision. How would you feel if the tables were turned and Josh was the one who wanted to invite someone to live with you permanently that you didn't really care for?

Anonymous said...

Glad you had such a good time with Blossom this weekend. More smiles in life is always good. Yes, dogs are quite loyal and make great friends and are very rewarding. However, they are a HUGE responsibility both timewise and financially. It's comparable to having a small child, dependent on you for everything--probably even more difficult in a NY apartment than in a place with a yard. Dog ownership 365/24/7. Even splitting that responsibility three ways, it's still a huge commitment. And it's the parent who always gets stuck with the responsiblity when everyone else lags behind (which WILL happen). Dinner issues are nothing compared to taking care of a dog. Perhaps Josh has already had experience with dog responsiblities, hence his hesitation.

You have enough on your plate as it is--perhaps sitting with Blossom occasionally as you have been doing is the answer for the present time. You can always re-address the dog thing later on.

I love dogs too, but have cats because they are so much more self-reliant. And I have a very large yard.

Kathy

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had so much fun with Blossom--dogs ARE awesome. But I don't think you should get one right now. You are all still in the 'big changes occurring regularly' stage of your lives. Your sisters are going to be graduating and (possibly) leaving. You'll finish school and get a job. Having a pet can make all those things even more complicated. If you can wait just a few more years, things will go much more smoothly with a pet. In the meantime, maybe you and your sisters could start a petsitting business on the side?

Sara said...

Oops, 12:17 Anonymous was me

Principled Slut said...

Dogs are a huge responsibility - I got one because of my daughter, but I certainly wouldn't have taken that on just for me. I find cats so much easier... very self sufficient and not nearly as needy. But either one will incur expenses and additional work.

Perhaps you can occasionally dog-sit for other people, allowing you to earn extra money and enjoy a dog without the expense and ongoing responsibility of owning one?